Thursday, August 16, 2007

Eviction

There are a couple of sheriff cars outside and a couple of policemen standing outside of apartment D. (are sheriff folks called police or something else?) The neighbor in apt. D is being evicted today, I guess. I didn't think it would happen this quickly. It hasn't been thirty days since the notice to vacate was posted. I wonder whats up with that.

I heard one of the officers ask the neighbor, who was sitting down by the street, if she was going to get any of her things out... that they'd give her twenty minutes. She got up and went inside and came back out with her purse, wallet, and some keys and left. Nothing else.

I was just noticing this morning that it had been very quiet at her place. I hadn't seen the druggies coming and going. I saw a couple now and then, but it looked like she didn't answer the door or else she turned them away. I was wondering what was up.

Its too bad things had to go this way but all her choices she made got her to this point. Based on what she shared with me regarding her history and what little I was aware of while she lived here, she seemed to be very self-destructive. Big Time. Sigh.

Just an aside... the police seemed to know her or rather remember dealings with her. I heard them ask "didn't your husband use to live here with you?" "What was his name, again?" (they weren't married, just boyfriend/girlfriend for a few months then he got the hell outta Dodge. He wasn't good for her either. But it was another rejection she had to deal with.)

In any event, thats the news of the day from here. I've never used her name nor posted a picture of her so I don't feel like.... oh, maybe I do a little. Never mind.

Added later: I got a quick look in the apt. The carpeting had been completely replaced before she/they moved in and now it is a complete mess. Huge and small stains all over it. And the door had been completely busted off its hinges so a piece of ply wood is being put up to cover it. They've also put in screws in the windows so they can't be opened. The maintenance person thinks the neighbor may be planning on coming back, thus the precautions. I suppose she can still break out the window but they would have to break out the entire glass since the frame won't be moving.

2 comments:

Wanda said...

CC you bring back memories too vivid...I was in property management for 20 years...Handled many evictions with the police. I can't believe what some tenants do to rental....! Sorry you have to live so close to it...Yeah! I've been retired from that business 4 years now....Yeah!

Pennytunes said...

Wow, I've lived poor, very poor, but I've never lived around people like that, how fortunate I have been,,, That sounds just so depressing, I have never been down/depressed enough to ever think drugs was the answer so I don't even know any people like you discribed

I'm very glad that you write about these people, it shows me where I could have been if I had not made the choices that I made...
BIG EYE OPENER...

Your telling of what you see going on is like reading a book... I like "seeing" things through your eyes...

So thank you...