Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thick as Thieves

I just saw a kid's bike get stolen. (snap)Just like that!

I noticed a young guy walking warily up into the yard next door. Suddenly he darts out of my view towards the apartments, even as I craned my neck trying to see what apartment he was going to... then in half a second I see him riding a bike across the yard next door and on down the street, glancing around to see if anyone was looking. He was gone before my mind could even process what it was I had just witnessed.

Big as Bull Balls he was....after all, nothing's going to happen to him even if he would get caught. People's windows in the apts were open... one even had their door open. It still didn't keep him from doing it.

Its a shame, too, because even though I watched him walk across the yard next door I still would not be able to identify him. He looked like twelve thousand other young men walking the streets around here. Cropped hair, oversized t-shirt, baggy jeans and a black backpack with a large splotch of red. Remove the backpack and I couldn't pick him out of a line up.

Eye witnesses are usually not reliable. This is where its good when people have tattoes... especially unusual ones. I don't care for them myself, but you know what? I say "go do it... go get something tattoed on your forehead, okay?"

I hope the thief doesn't get hit by a car and end up with a broken leg. He probably wouldn't connect it to karma.

Living in this neighborhood sure makes it hard to have any faith in humanity. I wonder if its like this everywhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never thought much of tatoos until one of mine got some. I watch Miami Ink and I find the stories interesting as to why a person got each tatoo.

I sure don't like thieves...

d