Friday, July 04, 2008

Surrounded by Idiots with Explosives

I will be sooooo glad when this holiday is over. Whoever came up with the idea of simulating bombs exploding ('or the ramparts we watch) to "celebrate" the nation's independence needs their ass kicked.

I've had to listen to pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... all afternoon.

The adolescent next door and his friend has been lighting these things ALL DAY. They don't seem to have any adult supervision either. They've recently moved their rockets across the street next to the tall dry grass. sigh.

I don't really feel this way in my heart of hearts, but my surface ego wonders about ... oh never mind. Its just that so often kids don't learn anything until they get burned, figuratively speaking. Yeah. Figuratively speaking. That's it.

pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... Shouldn't they be running out of supplies soon? Maybe if I sneak over there and grab.....

UPDATE: 10pm and the smoke from fireworks is so thick you can't breathe. This year the city has stepped up enforcement a little more than in past years. I just heard on the news that someone had spent $700 on fireworks. ($700?!?) They lit the first one just as one of the fireworks patrols went by... and they caught 'em. They conviscated all the fireworks, but because the person was cooperative, they didn't cite him. I think they should have, but what would be a $100 ticket to someone who just spent $700 on junk. I wonder if this person gives much to charity. I know the Food Bank could sure use $700, or the Red Cross. Take you're pick. We've also had the first house fire because of fireworks. And that was before dark. Now that its dark it sounds like little Baghdad out there or something. There will probably be more fires.

(what a crabby ole biddy I've become. And if I really cared, I'd try and change. BWAH HA HA HA HA HA Did I just say that?)

5 comments:

sandy said...

Wow....it was so quiet here and the only fireworks going on are the ones that went on at the college and Quakes Stadium and a high school. All day was like a ghost town out on the streets. And no sounds of barbecues or swimming, it was eerie.

I hope your popping stops soon! Oh just noticed you posted that at 6:00 so it's probably all over by now hopefully.

Pennytunes said...

pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop... boom... pop... pop pop...

Happy 4th... (grin)

Miss P

cat's momma said...

It was like that here too because fireworks are legal here, which I can't believe! There are over a hundred fires burning in California and we live in an area of drought where the hills are like straw and so are some of the fields between houses. I was nervous as hell with all the smoke and noise, worrying about a fire getting started. Then at 2:00 a.m. I heard a bunch more fireworks go off...the idiot(s)...whoever they are. The big stuff happens at the pier and it took Erin over an hour to get home from work...and it's only six or seven miles from home! bah!

BJ said...

Oh.....I'm sorry you had to put up with to many pop...pop...boom...boom....pop...pop..boom...boom's.....and I do understand the safety issue with children playing with even a sparkler! THEY ARE DANGEROUS!!!

Hope you can rest-up today...without any of that nonsense going on!

Sharon said...

$700 on fireworks....now that's a crime! I don't/can't spend $700 on anything........the last time I spent that much it was 5 years ago for this computer.

Wow! I wonder how many hungry kids that would have fed?!