Sunday, June 17, 2007

I feel a little dirty

Any time I plan on checking my bank balance online I do a complete scan for spyware and viruses (virui?) before doing it. Last night the spyware check came up with Trojan MalwareWipe. EUUUU Its like picking up a used condom thinking its a balloon. (And in case you were wondering, no... I have never done that. What? You think I was born yesterday?)

I googled the term (after removing it) and found out that its one of those programs that jump onto your pc and then pops up false system alert notices telling you your pc is in danger if you don't buy their spyware/cleanup software. Its like a liar telling you in all sincerity that they don't lie.

I'm bring this up to remind you to run those spyware and virus checks if you don't have it on a routine automated schedule.

I've recently began using SUPERAntiSpyware (they have a free version, God bless 'em). You have a choice of doing a quick scan (checks all the 'usual' places spyware is put) or a complete scan (checks every nook and cranny). I do a complete scan fairly often, but if I'm in a hurry, a quick scan is available.

The time it takes to do a complete scan varies depending upon how many files you have on your machine. Mine takes almost 3 hours.... so I generally start it in the evening and its done by the time I'm ready to go to bed. Same with the anti virus program, although I don't think it takes as long.

You can check out SUPERAntiSpyware dot com and/or Grisoft's AVG antivirus 'stuff'.

5 comments:

sandy said...

Good reminder, I hardly ever run one and I should.

I think within the month I'm going to have to break down and get a new laptop. The broken screen (looks like an exploded ink pen) has now traveled across the whole screen from bottomm left up to upper right. One more line and I have an X marks the spots.

When I'm manipulating my photos it's in the way and I can't even see the left hand bottom where you need to see certain icons. Down at that bottom area I have a big oval shape about the size of an oversized chicken egg.

So heck why run spyware and scan stuff, it's already being eaten up by an exploding ink bomb.

M said I could hook my computer up to a monitor...and bypass the screen here. I'm thinking what!!! I had to sit up in a chair at a desk for 30 plus years..I would never get on a computer again if I had to do that. I can only work with one if I'm sitting on my bed.

The Crusty Crone said...

oh dear...bummer. It sounds horrible. I guess you won't be wanting to read much, huh. (there could be other unknown concerns, too.) I hope you don't have wait too long to get a replacement.

Nita said...

Hi, Crusty. Thanks for finding me on Sandy's page and following the yellow brick...oh, wait. I'm lost again.

Thanks for finding me, and fancy finding all this puter stuff right now since I'm a diehard safe surfer.

I use Adaware and Spybot for free spyware removers. Use free AVG for antivirus stuff.

I've never picked up a rubber thinking it was a balloon either, but I've heard stories. Even the stories are eeeeuuuuwww. Yuck!

I'm off to see your other stuff. Nita

sandy said...

hahaha...you two talking about rubbers..LOL...

CC I'm going to check out those screen links you sent me cause its' getting so bad I can hardly see ya...

The Crusty Crone said...

"Thanks for finding me on Sandy's page and following the yellow brick...oh, wait. I'm lost again."

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha Good one!