Saturday, August 09, 2008

Ad Version vs the Real Thing

Here's a site that shows fast food products as seen in ads along side a picture of the real thing.

I've heard there are professionals that are called in to make things look better than they are while shooting the ads or commercials... and not everything is real in the ads. No surprise to anyone, I'm sure. I always take a good look at the placement of the fingers when ads come on for small snack versions of fast food sandwiches, too. They are placed to try to make the sandwich look larger. And the bites that are taken are smaller.

Many many years ago I was in a buffet type of restaurant (can't remember the name now) and a woman was fuming because her watery bowl of liquid containing a couple of tiny tiny shrimp didn't look anything like the full bodied picture/ad on the wall. "I didn't order this! I ordered that!!" pointing to the ad. She was yelling throughout the restaurant. And I didn't blame her at all. I'm sure they didn't placate her, but I hope they gave her back her money.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sausage egg mcmuffin still looks pretty good (not really, just a tiny bit good) to me. I was hooked on those for about a year, three times a week ...I would have my coffee in the morning, and then run down to MD's (and later Jack in the Box) for their breakfast sandwich. In the course of a year or more, I probably put on 15 pounds eating these. And I started having odd stomach problems similar to what IBS might feel like

Actually it was probably more than 2 years that I would eat these so much.

Driving there was a waste of fuel and the money I would spend on these probably really added up in the long run.

Nothing better than a bowl of Special K with banana, cranberry juice, and two spoonfuls of raw honey in the morning now. Although I'm not good with doing that every day. Sometimes it's just coffee and that's it.

I don't know how many times I've been disappointed with the real thing vs. the photo..

s

cat's momma said...

You find the most interesting things to post on your blog. I would've never seen this if you hadn't put a link here. There is so much of a difference between the photographed, fixed-up food and what you really get. Why isn't that false advertising!!!?

The Crusty Crone said...

hahahahaha False. Advertising. Isn't that the same thing?

Many decades ago I remember getting a sauage/egg McMuffin and it was SOOOOO GOOD! Maybe it was because I was super hungry or something, but it/they never tasted as good afterwards. I tried a few times and then gave it up.

Pennytunes said...

You need to try their McGriddle, its pretty good... Sweeten pancakes with egg bacon cheese... Yep, its good, even thought I don't eat them, they are still good... (grin)...

Don't you know the reason they call them adds is they ADD stuff to make it look better? hehe... I have always been disappointed in the real thing vs. the picture on the wall...
But to be fair... It looked to me that the pictures of the "real" product was made to look as "unappealing" as the pictures of the ads were made to look "appealing"...

Wanda said...

The link didn't work for me CC, but I can imagine...! My husband needs pictures on the menu...and he is usually dissapointed.

I'll come back and try later.

BJ said...

Great post CC! And you are absolutely right about this. I haven't had this for years, but I used to love the sausage, egg & cheese croissant from Burger King. I rarely eat fast food. But if I do...it's M.D's for sure.

Sue J said...

The people who prepare the food for the pictures are called 'food stylists' - I know this because it was featured last week on a programme here called Can We Help.
They don't use anything hot when they take the pics. They paint some sort of chemical on the chicken that turns to ersatz steam!
I avoid McDonald's like the plague.
If you take the meat out of the pattie and taste it without any of the other stuff it's like a mouthful of wet cardboard. The cardboard would probably have more flavour. Made from all the bits nobody else wants! Haven't been in Maccas for years.