Thursday, September 02, 2010

The Gift - A Magpie Tale

 
Teacher Sarah sat at her desk looking at the apple. It had seen better days. No telling where it’s been on its journey to her.

Soon the noise of the boisterous children brought her attention back to the task at hand. Teaching.

She gently tapped her ruler on the wooden desk to get their attention.

“Children… quiet now.”

It took a while for everyone to settle down. As she patiently waited, Sarah looked around at each student to see if she could find a hint or clue as to who left the apple. In the far back corner sat little Donny Brown, his head down as though that would make him invisible. The Brown family struggled the hardest in this small farm community. She knew that giving up an apple, even one that was nicked and bruised and half eaten, was a far greater gift than the most perfect apple given by another.

The room became quiet.

Sarah stared at the back wall as she tried to figure out whether or not to publicly acknowledge her gift. She decided against it.

“Students… I’m having a hankerin’ for some apple pie. If we can get through this afternoon’s lessons without too many distractions, I will bake one tonight and bring it in tomorrow so we can all have some.”

No sense in wasting an opportunity to bribe for compliance, she thought to herself. I’ll need more apples.

The children cheered. Folks didn’t do a lot of baking since ingredients were so precious. This would, indeed, be a treat. Teacher Sarah smiled at her students as they murmured among themselves. And when she finally caught the eye of little Donny Brown she gave him a quick wink.


Check out the other entries in this week's Magpie Tales challenge here.
Posted by Picasa

24 comments:

Wanda said...

I love your Teacher Sarah, she is just the kind of teacher I wanted my Sarah to be in the Saga of Sarah.

Love how my heart just reached out to little Donny Brown.

CC you are such a gifted writer. I love your Magpie Tales.

A few Still Life Art Challenges are up on the blog.

The Crusty Crone said...

oh Wanda, I forgot about 'your' Sarah. Sorry about that. Its a name I've used often and today I was too lazy to think of any other name.

(I tried the figs. It sucked, so I'm going to try it again tonight. Maybe one of the other still life's as well.)

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Beautiful story, the chidren my daughter teaches come from homes with very little, I know her children would love a treat like this; and it takes a special teacher to know her children well.

Wanda said...

Don't be sorry I'm thrilled to see another teacher names Sarah. It a good name.

Chris emailed me a copy of her hawk, I think she thought it was too late to post it on her blog.

I think she will check the comments on the Art Blog, so I'd just put our comment there. I really thought she did a great job on it to.

So you got some bad figs huh?

I felt that way about the jewelry and veggies!

Teresa said...

I love the story, but an apple pie no longer fits the nutrition policy of schools. Isn't that sad?

Wonderfully written and inspiring.

Brigid O'Connor said...

Lovely tale and full of characters I'd love to her more of.

Suz said...

This was a delight to read...and my daughter's name is Sarah..and she is a teacher...good choice
We need more stories like this with virtue wisdom and love
good job

Sue J said...

A lovely story CC. A precious gift.

Helen said...

Sweet and lovely ~ your apple Magpie!

sandy said...

Great as usual... Felt the compassion in the post..Loved it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely short story - and I love apple pie!

Brian Miller said...

a treat almost as lovely as your writing...a wonderful tale....nice mag

Shari Sunday said...

Love your story. Love the teacher and especially love the little wink at the end.

The Crusty Crone said...

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Claudia said...

there should be more teachers like sarah - excellent write

here's my magpie

Kathe W. said...

a sweet story-loved it!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

inspirational and sweet tale.
thanks for sharing!

R. Burnett Baker said...

An uplifting example of how we all should treat one another! A story of kindness and love....

Rick

Tess Kincaid said...

What a wonderfully charming tale! I remember bringing an apple to my teacher on occasion.

Tumblewords: said...

A gentle tale, full of wisdom and insight!

Anonymous said...

Best teacher ever! no wonder he gave her the apple in the first place. a well written magpie.

Tina said...

This former teacher loves this delicious tale. Nice job!

~T~ said...

Sweet story!

RNSANE said...

Such a sweet story. Clearly, this little one may not have much but he's learned what it is to give from his heart.