Sunday, March 01, 2009

Assumptions (for adult eyes only)

I saw a segment on one of the morning talk shows about saving grocery money by storing produce properly. At the very end of the segment the woman said that bananas could even be frozen. This is where I made a bad assumption. Do you know where this is going? I assumed that the banana would still be a banana after defrosting.

I was dubious. Frozen bananas? hmmmmmm. But what do I know... not that much, so I decided to try it. I stuck two bananas in the freezer a couple of days ago. The other two I ate.

This morning I defrosted them to check on the outcome. The woman was correct in that the bananas could be frozen. It was my assumption that was wrong. My assumption that they would still be bananas when defrosted. Wrong. We won't even talk about the appearance of the frozen banana peel, but that was my first clue that all was not well.

The bananas came out looking like a pussy-whupped penis with the clap.

The learning experience that I am sharing is to ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR OWN INSTINCTS!!

Know-it-all people you see on tv don't always know it all. What the hell was she thinking. What the hell was I thinking. Listen to yourself first and always be respectful of your instincts. Let someone try the idea first, then if it works... there ya go. This idea doesn't work.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can freeze bananas, I do it all the time (if I have extra, or get them on the old marked down- which is really the only way most people can afford them (LOL)

The secret is, you peel them first.
Peel, wrap in foil or put in a baggie and freeze.
They do come out a little mushy when thawed, but are great to eat frozen (better than ice cream) and if you only half thaw them, you can slice them in things. If you thaw them totally, you can mash and make something like banana bread.
Freezing them is still better than letting them sit and rot/overipen and become home for families of fruitflies.
The person on TV should have made it clear you peel the bananas, first.
I've talked to people in stores who don't know you can freeze bananas (peeled) and I don't tell them. I dont want them rushing to buy up the getting-ripe, on sale for cheap ones, to bring home and freeze (LOL)
Just came across the link to this blog in my old favorites list, haven't checked in for awhile.
I don't know if this will post it wants my username and password...so I'm putting anonymous.
Carrie

Rudee said...

CC, thank you for being the sacrificial consumer. Your description is very frank and I'm glad to say, better you than me.

I've never frozen bananas as they don't last long here. I buy them, then eat them as fast as humanly possible. If they look even remotely on the wrong side of too ripe, I'll not eat them. I prefer my bananas on the firm side. Ha. Who doesn't?

The Crusty Crone said...

Thx for the info Carrie. If I ever have plans for soft, mushy bananas but I'm not ready I now know I can freeze them peeled. I'm like Rudee, though. If they look like they are getting over ripe, I just eat them.

Brenda said...

Perhaps I'll try to draw one. It may be my first drawing. Just kidding..hehehehe. We freeze them for smoothies. Peel them, and slice and put in freezer bag. Blend in blender with milk, frozen strawberries and vanilla yogurt. It is good for breakfast sometimes.

Brenda said...

Perhaps I'll try to draw one. It may be my first drawing. Just kidding..hehehehe. We freeze them for smoothies. Peel them, and slice and put in freezer bag. Blend in blender with milk, frozen strawberries and vanilla yogurt. It is good for breakfast sometimes.

sandy said...

HAHAHAHAHAH, hahahahaha...

Wanda said...

OH I'm rolling on the floor laughing..... oh my sides hurt!

Stop it CC I can't stans to more!!!

I peel and cut up banans and put in a container to freeze for banana bread. It doesn't matter how they look....they still make great banana bread when defrosted!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH