Friday, March 26, 2010

And I Only Had One

I'm not sure what got into me last night but I baked cookies. From scratch. Big deal you say and I say yes, it is a big deal... for me. I've probably baked cookies from scratch perhaps 3 or 4 times in my life. The last time was probably over 40 yrs ago. (yes, I'm that old.) And none of them burned!

A domestic goddess I'm not.

I googled a recipe. There are a lot of variations for oatmeal cookies, but I picked what seemed to be a traditional one with just some extras items popped in for interest. We had all of the ingredients except for a couple of minor things. No biggy.

I remembered to take a couple of pictures at some point in the process. The photo below shows the first batch taken hot from the oven. We didn't have any raisins so I used white chocolate chips. The cookies were sweeter than I had anticipated. They were good. They were rich, but just a smidgeon too sweet for my preferences.
 


I had been thinking about this 'project' all day long and it wasn't until last night that I decided to do it. I slapped the ingredients together, made sure the oven was fully heated, and most importantly I removed the cookies from the oven while they still looked a little under done. (That's the well known secret for soft cookies. Non-bakers may not know this.) By the time I reached the last of the dough I was sleepy so I just wanted to be done with it so I could go to bed. None of the cookies burned but the best part was that I only had one cookie. Can you guess which one?

 
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

sandy said...

ohhhhhh I'm hungry and they look delicious. Wow, it's been that long since you've baked...

My one son up until he moved out a few months ago, always made cookies and then would make one big one at the end for himself....

I prefer oatmeal over chocolate chip cookies...but the white chocolate sounds kind of good.

Alices Wonderland said...

I try to avoid cooking/baking myself. As for cookies, I perfer the ones where you break the squares apart and bake. Not exactly scratch, but yummy never the less.

Sue J said...

It wouldn't have been the one on the left would it? :) I'm surprised the kids let you get that one. Baking, when you feel in the mood, is quite a satisfying pastime. But you have to be in the mood. Well done, you!

Wanda said...

That is one big Oatmeal cookie.

I love the white chocolate chips. Yummy ~~ Sweeter the better for me, and the bigger the better...Guess that's why I'm not a size 6! ;0)

Rudee said...

Oatmeal cookies are my favorite.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
liz said...

LMAO! thats a giant cookie, how conveninent, i'd do the same to just have ONE. :D oatmeal cookies hmmm <3